WordPress Updates are Important
Good because you have thousands of active developers all contributing to the open source project that is WordPress. Squashing bugs, keeping up to date with the latest technologies and also patching known security holes or vulnerabilities.
Bad because WordPress becomes a bit of a target for hackers and crackers to try and find security holes which would then affect millions of sites on the web. It’s akin to why Windows users find that there are more viruses or malware out there as opposed to Mac users or Linux users. The hackers spend their time on exploits that would have the greatest reach possible to inflict the most damage.
It’s disgusting, right?
When do I do updates?
Recently, WordPress have instated two important means for keeping users sites updated.
- They handle all the minor updates. Since WordPress 3.7+, you don’t have to lift a finger to apply minor and security updates. Most sites are now able to automatiicaly apply these updates in the background. It’s only for major updates that you’ll need to click “Update Now”.
- Your site will e-mail you when major updates are available. Beginning just recently, as soon as a major update is released, your website will e-mail the site administrator and let you know that you need to login and update your WordPress site.
As always, you’ll also see in your WordPress dashboard anytime there are major updates to take care of.
Updating your WordPress site.
WordPress is famous for it’s “One-click Update.” It’s really easy to update your WordPress sites but we find a lot of users are fearful or worried when it comes to updating their site.
But if you’re ready to update, here’s a step-by-step breakdown.
- Login to your WordPress dashboard.
- Click the “Updates” area underneath your Dashboard Menu. Or, select the update icon beside your site name in the top left hand corner.
- You’ll notice an important message about backing up your database files before proceeding. This is very important as you need something to revert back to if something breaks. If your website is hosted by Kone Marketing then your database is backed up each and every night so you can carry on with your updates. 🙂
- Click the big, “Update Now” button and WordPress will fetch the latest updates and install them.
Plugins need love too.
Don’t forget to update all of the Plugins that your site might be using. After you’ve finished upgrading WordPress, go back to the “Updates” menu (same place as before in your dashboard) and select the plugins you wish to update.
Want some help?
Are your hands shaking over your keyboard and need some help and guidance with these updates? We’re there for you, not to worry. Just send a support ticket in to us and our nerds will take care of everything.