Convert your Microsoft Word documents to a Google Docs document allows you to edit, collaborate on it online.
It’s often helpful to submit documents you need to work together on as a Google Document. Converting to a Google document, spreadsheet or presentation allows you to edit, collaborate on, and share it with others online. When you convert a file, the original will remain intact and available in your Google Drive.
How to convert a file to Microsoft Word .docx file to a Google Document.
After syncing or manually uploading a file to Google Drive on the web, here’s how to convert it to a Google-friendly format.
- Right-click the item in your Google Drive.
- Select Open with…, and then choose an app. Depending on what type of file you’re trying to open, Docs, Sheets, or Slides will be listed there.
If you have any third-party apps installed in your Drive that are compatible with the type of file you’re opening, those apps will appear under “Open with…” too.
- Open with “Google Preview”
- From preview, go up to File -> Open With -> Google Docs
Compatible file types
These are the file types that can be converted to a Google document, spreadsheet, or presentation:
- For documents: .doc, .docx, .html, plain text (.txt), .rtf
- For spreadsheets: .xls, .xlsx, .ods, .csv, .tsv, .txt, .tab
- For presentations: .ppt, .pps, .pptx
- For drawings: .wmf
- For OCR: .jpg, .gif, .png, .pdf